Dr. Anand Segar is a New Zealand and internationally trained spinal surgeon whose practice is guided by the principles of patient-centered care. His approach is personable, balance, and individualised with a holistic view of spinal conditions. Anand will only recommend surgery when necessary and always through a shared-decision making process.
Education and Training
Dr. Anand Segar is a New Zealand and internationally trained spinal surgeon specialising in all aspects of adult and paediatric spinal surgery.
He completed his medical education at the University of Auckland, where he graduated at the top of his class. He subsequently trained in orthopaedic surgery in New Zealand and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He was awarded his Ph.D. from the University of Oxford, U.K., examining the relationship of obesity and low back pain. He has received numerous awards for his research and serves as a Deputy Editor for the journal Clinical Spine Surgery.
He has completed three prestigious, highly competitive, and world-renowned spine surgical fellowships in the United States working under the leaders in the field. This has provided him with a unique and comprehensive understanding of spinal problems afflicting patients of all age groups, from birth to the more venerable patients, in any aspect of their spine, all the way from their skull to their tailbone.
- BHB & MBChB – University of Auckland
- FRACS (Ortho) – New Zealand Orthopaedic Association and Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- DPhil/PhD – University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (The Effect of Obesity Upon the Lumbar Spine)
- Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, U.S.A
- All aspects of adult spine surgery (trauma, tumours, revision or “failed” spinal surgery, spinal deformity, robotic spine surgery and minimally invasive spine surgery)
- NYU Langone Orthopaedic Hospital, New York, U.S.A
- Adult and paediatric spine surgery (scoliosis, spinal deformity, robotic spine surgery and minimally invasive spine surgery)
- Columbia University/Children’s Hospital of New York, New York, U.S.A
- Complex paediatric spinal deformity (scoliosis, spinal deformity, robotic spine surgery and vertebral body tethering)
- Adult and Paediatric Spine Surgeon, Auckland Spine Institute
- Paediatric Spine Surgeon, Starship Children’s Hospital, Auckland District Health Board
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Auckland
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- New Zealand Orthopaedic Association
- North American Spine Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- AO Spine